Feb. 2, 2013
NEW YORK – Sophomore Blake Jakobsson had a personal-best mark in the weight throw Saturday to highlight the performance of the 11th-ranked Men’s Track and Field team on the final day of action at the Armory Collegiate Invitational.
Jakobsson had a toss of 56 feet, 2 inches (17.12m) to finish 15th in the championship division of the weight throw which was won by former U.S. Outdoor champion Thomas Jacob Freeman with a mark of 76-5 1/2 (23.30m).
Hayden Baillio, who won the shot put Friday with the second-best toss of his career (63-7.75/19.40m), finished 17th in the weight throw with a mark of 55-7 1/2 (16.95m). Clint Harris was 18th with a toss of 55-0 (16.76m) and Will Spence posted a personal-best 53-1 1/2 (16.19m).
The Longhorns sent just 14 competitors to the two-day meet that featured individuals from more than 100 universities and colleges.
“This is the indoor version of the Penn Relays,” associate head coach Mario Sategna said.
Jarard Bruner was one of 10 Horns in action Saturday. He finished fifth in the triple jump college event Saturday morning with a clearance of 48-0 3/4 (14.65m).
Josh Brudnick, Keiron Stewart, Zack Bilderback, Jake Wohlford ran in the evening’s 4x400-meter relay championship event and clocked a time of 3:14.66.
“We got some work done this weekend, but we’re focusing on getting ready for the conference meet and the NCAAs,” Sategna said. “This week and next are important meets. We just have one more weekend of competition before the Big 12s.”
The Longhorns are back in action next weekend when they will send competitors to both the Husky Classic in Seattle, and the Tyson Invitational in Fayetteville, Ark. Both two-day meets get underway Friday.
The middle distance and distance runners will head to the Husky Classic. The rest of the team will compete at Arkansas.
The Big 12 Indoor Championships are scheduled for Feb. 22-23 in Ames, Iowa.
TEXAS RESULTS - ARMORY COLLEGIATE INVITATIONAL
The Armory • New York, N.Y.
Friday, Feb. 1
• 60 Meters Prelims - College: t-19. Darnell Porter, 7.17
• 60 Meters Prelims - Championship: 17. Keiron Stewart, 6.83; 40. Emerson Sanders, 7.01; 48. Basil Fares, 7.17
• 200 Meters Prelims - College: 15. Zack Bilderback, 22.14; 22. Basil Fares, 22.33; 55. Darnell Porter, 22.93
• 400 Meters - College: 62. Johannes Hock, 50.28
• 500 Meters - Championship: 8. Zack Bilderback, 1:03.81; 11. Josh Brudnick, 1:04.36
• 60-Meter Hurdles Prelims - Championship: 10. Keiron Stewart, 7.93; 25. Jake Wohlford, 8.11; 40. Josh Brudnick, 8.39; 42. Johannes Hock, 8.48
• 60-Meter Hurdles Final - Championship: 2. Keiron Stewart, 7.73
• High Jump - College: 8. Victor Glaze II, 6-08.25 (2.04m)
• Long Jump – College: t-4. Emerson Sanders, 23-03.25 (7.09m); 6. Johannes Hock, 23-02.75 (7.08m); 17. Basil Fares, 21-07.25 (6.58m)
• Shot Put - Championship: 1. Hayden Baillio, 63-7.75 (19.40m); 5. Will Spence, 58-4 (17.78m); -- Blake Jakobsson, Foul; -- Clint Harris, Foul
Saturday, Feb. 2
• Triple Jump – College: 5. Jarard Bruner, 48-0.75 (14.65m)
• Weight Throw – Championship: 15. Blake Jakobsson, 56-2.00 (17.12m); 17. Hayden Baillio, 55-7.50 (16.95m); 18. Clint Harris 55-0 (16.76m); 24. Will Spence, 53-1.50 (16.19m)
• 4x400 Meter Relay – Championship: 10. Josh Brudnick, Keiron Stewart, Zack Bilderback, Jake Wohlford, 3:14.66