BOULDER, Colo. -- With the match knotted at two points apiece, No. 3 Texas (16-1, 4-0) came up big with three hard-fought singles victories to put away a scrappy Colorado (15-6, 4-1) team, winning by a 5-2 count Sunday afternoon at CU's South Campus Tennis Courts.
Texas opened by taking the doubles point for a second consecutive match. UT junior Hubert Chodkiewicz (Corpus Christi, Texas) and senior Roger Gubser (Laredo, Texas) scored an 8-3 win at the second position over Chad Tsuda and Jan Zelezny, and freshman Miguel Reyes Varela (Cuernavaca, Mexico) and sophomore Milan Mihailovic (Nis, Serbia) defeated Marek Dvorak and Geoffrey Chizever, 9-8 (3) to clinch the point.
After CU opened singles play with a win at the fifth position, UT freshman Michael Venus gave Texas the lead once again by defeating Dvorak in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4. CU's Eric Molnar topped UT's seventh-ranked Travis Helgeson (Overland Park, Kan.) in straight sets, but Texas took over from there to clinch the match.
Texas senior Callum Beale (Adelaide, Australia) put the Longhorns back on top with a 7-6 (5), 7-5 win over Zelezny at the third spot. The Buffaloes had an opportunity to tie the match at the fourth position, but Mihailovic, after dropping the second set, held on for a 7-6 (4), 6-7 (4), 6-4 win over Marko Bundalo to clinch the Texas win. Gubser engaged in a lengthy match as well, rallying for a 5-7, 6-1, 7-5 win over CU's Peter Bjork at the second position for the final 5-2 margin.
The third-ranked Longhorns await a busy week with both non-conference and Big 12 Conference opponents on the slate. Texas visits Rice on Wednesday, April 12 before playing host to No. 2 Pepperdine on Friday, April 14 at the Penick-Allison Tennis Center in Austin. UT returns to conference play next Sunday, April 16 when the Longhorns visit Texas Tech.
No. 3 Texas 5, No. 28 Colorado 2
Doubles - Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Bundalo/Molnar (CU) def. Beale/Helgeson (UT) - 8-6
2. Chodkiewicz/Gubser (UT) def. Tsuda/Zelezny (CU) - 8-3
3. Reyes Varela/Mihailovic (UT) def. Chizever/Dvorak (CU) - 9-8(4)
Singles - Order of Finish: 5, 6, 1, 3, 4, 2
1. Eric Molnar (CU) def. No. 7 Travis Helgeson (UT) - 6-4, 7-6(5)
2. (36) Roger Gubser (UT) def. Peter Bjork 5-7 (CU) - 6-1, 7-5
3. (39) Callum Beale (UT) def. Jan Zelezny (CU) - 7-6(5), 7-5
4. Milan Mihailovic (UT) def. Marko Bundalo (CU) - 7-6(4), 6-7(4), 6-4
5. Chad Tsuda (CU) def. Miguel Reyes Varela (CU) - 7-5, 6-1
6. Michael Venus (UT) def. Marek Dvorak (CU) - 6-4, 6-4