AUSTIN, Texas -- The 27th-ranked University of Texas men's tennis team faced St. Edward's and UT-San Antonio in a non-conference doubleheader at Penick-Allison Tennis Center on Wednesday. The Longhorns defeated the Hilltoppers, 4-2, in the first match and then topped the Roadrunners in the second match, 6-1.
"I thought we played better at the end of the day than at the beginning," Texas head coach Michael Center said. "We now get to start conference play which I think everyone is excited about. We are looking forward to playing OSU and OU this weekend."
Texas (8-3) opened the match with a win at No. 2 doubles where sophomore Hubert Chodkiewicz (Corpus Christi, Texas) and junior Roger Gubser (Laredo, Texas) defeated Hetori Chaves and Anthony Portois of UTSA, 8-6. The doubles point was then clinched by the 53rd-ranked duo of junior Callum Beale (Adelaide, Australia) and freshman Travis Helgeson (Overland Park, Kan.) who posted a 9-7 mark over Ricardo Almeida and Dennis Andrade at the top of the lineup. At the third spot, freshman Luis Diaz Barriga (Cordoba, Mexico) and sophomore Garrett Snyder (Newport Beach, Calif.) battled Jonas Hoglund and Adam Becker for the 9-7 win and the doubles sweep.
In singles action, Snyder was first off the court at the sixth spot after his opponent, Nate Avila, retired due to injury in the second set. Chodkiewicz followed with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Chaves at No. 5, increasing the Longhorns' advantage to 3-0.
Texas continued to dominate in singles as it collected three more wins at the top three positions. Beale, ranked 25th nationally, defeated Andrade 6-2, 6-4 at No. 1 and Gubser, ranked 65th nationally, posted a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Almeida at No. 3. Helgeson scored the final point for Texas as he defeated Portois with identical 6-3, 6-3 scores at the second spot.
UTSA avoided the singles sweep with a win at the fourth position where freshman Milan Mihailovic (Nis, Serbia) dropped a tough 6-0, 2-6, 6-3 decision to Hoglund.
In the first match of Wednesday's doubleheader, Texas defeated St. Edward's, 4-2, to improve to 5-0 in the all-time series. The Longhorns put together four consecutive straight-set wins at the top four positions in which they surrendered a combined 13 games to the Hilltoppers.
The Texas men return to action this weekend when they travel to Oklahoma for a pair of conference matches against Oklahoma State on Saturday, April 2 and Oklahoma on Sunday, April 3. First serves are set for 2 p.m. and noon, respectively.
No. 27 Texas 6, UT-San Antonio 1
Singles (Order of finish: 6, 5, 1*, 3, 2, 4)
1. Callum Beale (UT) def. Dennis Andrade (UTSA) 6-2, 6-4
2. Travis Helgeson (UT) def. Anthony Portois (UTSA) 6-3, 6-3
3. Roger Gubser (UT) def. Ricardo Almeida (UTSA) 6-4, 6-4
4. Jonas Hoglund (UTSA) def. Milan Mihailovic (UT) 6-0, 2-6, 6-3
5. Hubert Chodkiewicz (UT) def. Hetori Chaves (UTSA) 6-3, 6-1
6. Garrett Snyder (UT) def. Nate Avila (UTSA) 6-1, 3-0, ret.
Doubles (Order of finish: 2, 1*, 3)
1. Beale/Helgeson (UT) def. Almeida/Andrade (UTSA) 9-7
2. Chodkiewicz/Gubser (UT) def. Chaves/Portois (UTSA) 8-6
3. Luis Diaz Barriga/Snyder (UT) def. Adam Becker/Hoglund (UTSA) 9-7
No. 27 Texas 4, St. Edward's 2
Singles (Order of finish: 3, 2, 4, 1*, 6, 5)
1. Callum Beale (UT) def. Kendall Smashey (SEU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Travis Helgeson (UT) def. Mario Quintero (SEU) 6-3, 6-0
3. Hubert Chodkiewicz (UT) def. Tyler Lyon (SEU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Garrett Snyder (UT) def. Walter Valarezo (SEU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Simon Boyce (SEU) def. Bernhard Deussner (UT) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
6. Jorge Jimenez (SEU) def. Jeremy Hubbard (UT) 6-3, 6-3