March 6, 2013
Thursday, March 7, 2013 • Austin, Texas • Penick-Allison Tennis Center
Texas vs. Penn State - 6 p.m. CT
TV: Longhorn Network - Steve Weissman (play-by-play), Jon Wiegand (analyst)
Live Scoring: TexasSports.com
• Series: Thursday is the first meeting between Texas and Penn State in a dual match.
• Rankings: The Longhorns are ranked 21st in the latest ITA Rankings, released on Tuesday. Texas dropped six spots after splitting two matches in Tallahassee, Fla., last week.
• Last time out: UT defeated No. 75 South Florida, 6-1, on March 2 after taking the doubles point and winning the first five singles matches. All five singles victories were in straight sets against USF. The Longhorns were edged by host No. 44 Florida State, 5-2, on March 1 despite winning the first set in five of six singles matches.
• At Home: Texas is 41-4 at home since the 2010 season (the current senior class' freshman year). Texas won its 18th consecutive home opener with a 7-0 sweep of UT Arlington on Feb. 21.
• Three of Texas' four losses this season have come against top-10 opponents -- No. 9 Kentucky, No. 2 Southern California and No. 7 Pepperdine.
• Sophomore Soren Hess-Olesen is the highest-ranked singles player for the Longhorns at No. 50. Hess-Olesen sports a 9-5 overall record and a 3-3 record in No. 1 singles this season. The Denmark native missed the Florida State and South Florida matches due to injury.
• Senior No. 80 Daniel Whitehead played No. 1 singles for the first time this season last Saturday against South Florida, defeating Oliver Pramming (USF) in straight sets. Whitehead has three wins against nationally-ranked opponents with a 15-11 overall record and a 4-3 record during the dual match season. Whitehead ranks 29th in Texas history with 78 career singles wins.
• Sophomore Lloyd Glasspool has won nine of his last 11 overall singles matches and holds an 8-2 record in dual play.
• Texas' 11th-ranked doubles team of Chris Camillone and David Holiner are coming off an 8-3 win over USF's 56th-ranked Oliver Pramming / Ignacio Gonzalez-Muniz in Tallahassee, Fla., on March 2. Camillone and Holiner hold an 11-6 overall record and 2-2 record during the dual season.
• Texas connections: Penn State junior Russell Bader is from Austin, Texas (Westlake HS) and senior Bryan Welnetz is from Laredo, Texas (United HS). Bader has a 3-3 record in No. 1 doubles and a 8-4 mark in dual match singles this season. Welnetz is 6-4 in No. 1 singles this season.
• Longhorn Network will televise eight Texas men's tennis matches this season at Penick-Allison Tennis Center. The next televised event will be on March 7 against Penn State.
• Michael Center is in his 13th season at Texas (251-91 record) and 22nd season overall as a tennis head coach (410-159 record).
• Texas has made 21 consecutive appearances in the NCAA tournament, including three Final Four appearances in 2006, 2008 and 2009. UT's highest final ITA ranking was No. 3 after the 2006 season.