No. 17 Texas 52, No. 12 Arizona State 34
December 27, 2007
Pacific Life Holiday Bowl
Qualcomm Stadium -- San Diego, Calif.
· Texas won its bowl game for a school record fourth consecutive season.
· Mack Brown is now 7-3 in bowl games at Texas.
· Texas produced over 400 yards of offense for the ninth time this season.
· The Longhorns opened the game with an eight-play, 49-yard TD drive that took 1:21 off the clock. It marked the quickest TD in Holiday Bowl history, bettering the previous mark of 3:03 by SMU in the 1980 Holiday Bowl against BYU.
· Texas’ 21-point first quarter are the most points scored in the opening stanza in Holiday Bowl history, bettering the 19 points SMU scored against BYU in the 1980 Holiday Bowl.
· Derek Lokey’s two-yard TD reception marked the first time a primarily defensive player scored a TD on an offensive play since the days of single platoon football in UT history.
· Charles moved into fourth place on UT’s all-time rushing list with 3,328 yards, passing Chris Gilbert (3,231, 1966-68).
· With 161 yards, Charles moved into a tie for fifth place on UT’s single-season list with seven 100-yard games. He now has eleven 100-yard games in his career.
· Charles’ 15-yard TD run in the first quarter was his 17th of the season and the 35th of his career.
· With his 48-yard run in the first quarter, Charles has had a rush of at least 35 yards in four of his last five games.
· Chiles’ four-yard TD run in the first quarter was the second of his career.
· Cosby has recorded a reception in 31 consecutive games.
· Finley recovered a fumble in the end zone for his first career rushing TD. Officially, it was no rush for three yards and a TD.
· Finley has recorded at least one reception in 19 of his last 20 games.
· Foster’s forced fumble in the first quarter was his first of the season and the second of his career.
· Foster’s fumble recovery in the first quarter was his third of the season and the fourth of his career.
· Foster’s INT in the fourth quarter was his fourth this season and the fourth of his career.
· With two INTs, Griffin matched his single-game high and now has five INTs on the season and six for his career.
· Jones has logged three or more receptions in all 13 of UT's games.
· With six receptions, Jones moved into a tie for second on UT’s single-season receptions list with 70.
· Lokey’s two-yard TD catch was the first reception and the first TD of his career.
· McCoy’s nine-yard TD run in the second quarter was fourth of the season and the sixth of his career.
· McCoy’s 16 rushing attempts matched his career high (16 at Oklahoma State, 2007).
· McGee’s 28-yard TD run in the fourth quarter was his eighth TD of the season, which is tied for fifth on UT’s single-season TDs by a freshman list.
· Melton’s recovery of a fumbled punt in the third quarter was the first of his career.
· Orakpo established a new single-game high with 2.5 sacks and now has six sacks on the season and 11 sacks for his career.
· Shipley set a single-game high with six receptions.
Game Captains: #25 Jamaal Charles, #96 Derek Lokey, #12 Colt McCoy and #97 Frank Okam.
Coin Toss: Arizona St. won the toss and deferred to the second half. Texas elected to receive. Texas elected to defend the North end zone.