No. 23/22 Texas 56, Iowa State 3
October 13, 2007
Jack Trice Stadium -- Ames, Iowa
TEXAS TEAM NOTES
· Texas leads the all-time series 7-0. The Horns are 3-0 in Ames.
· Texas is 46-7 when passing for more than 250 yards in the Mack Brown era.
· Texas is 75-2 when recording more than 400 total yards.
· Texas is 94-11 when scoring more than 20 points in the Mack Brown era.
· Texas prevented its opponent from scoring on the opening drive for the fifth time in 2007 (Arkansas State, FG and Kansas State, TD).
· Texas has scored on its first offensive play from scrimmage three times during the Mack Brown Era. Hodges Mitchell scored on an 80-yard TD run at Oklahoma State (1999), Jamaal Charles scored on a three-yard TD run at Missouri (2005) and Jordan Shipley scored on a 58-yard TD reception at Iowa State (2007).
· Brandon Foster's INT in the third quarter broke UT's string of 12 straight quarters without a turnover, dating back to the third quarter of the Rice game. Marcus Griffin's INT in the second quarter of that game marked UT's last forced turnover.
· With 298 passing yards and 216 rushing yards, the Horns eclipsed the 200-yard plateau both rushing and passing for the third time this season (UCF, 259p/229r; Rice, 333p/227r).
· With 514 yards, the Horns eclipsed the 500-yard mark for the second time this season (560 vs. Rice) and for the 31st time in the Mack Brown era.
· The 53-point margin is the Horns' largest margin of victory on the road since it defeated Baylor, 62-0, in 2005.
· The three points allowed by the Texas defense are the fewest since it allowed three points to Sam Houston St. last season.
· Bailey has made 39 consecutive PATs.
· Beasley's INT in the third quarter was the first of his career.
· With 44 yards rushing, Charles moved into 12th place on UT's all-time rushing list with 2,375 yards.
· Charles' six-yard TD with 5:31 left in the second quarter was his eighth of the season and the 26th of his career.
· With 26 career TDs, Charles moved into a tie for ninth place with Roosevelt Leaks (1972-74) on UT's all-time rushing TD list.
· Chiles' 11-yard TD run in the fourth quarter marked the first TD of his career.
· Cosby has recorded a reception in 25 consecutive games.
· Cosby has recorded at least three receptions in six of UT's seven games.
· Cosby has recorded at least five receptions in five of UT's seven games.
· Cosby's six-yard TD reception with :26 seconds left in the first quarter was his third of the season and the seventh of his career.
· Cosby has now recorded a TD reception in three of the last four games.
· Cosby moved into third place on UT's single-season kickoff returns list with 22.
· Earnest's fumble recovery late in the game was the first of his career.
· Foster's 39-yard INT return for a TD with 10:21 left in the third quarter marked his third TD of the season and the fourth of his career.
· Foster's three defensive TDs (two INT returns, one fumble return) in 2007 set a UT single-season record.
· With two INT returns for TDs in 2007, Foster is tied for first on UT's single-season list.
· With two career INT returns for TDs, Foster is tied for fourth on UT's all-time list.
· Houston's sack in the first quarter was his third of the season and fourth of his career.
· Jones has logged three or more receptions in all seven of UT's games.
· Jones has recorded at least four receptions in six of UT's seven games.
· Jones has recorded at least six receptions in four of UT's seven games.
· With 125 receiving yards, Jones set a career high in notching his first career 100-yard game.
· On UT's second TD drive of the game, Jones recorded 50 of the 80 yards on two receptions.
· Jones' 20-yard TD reception with 12:47 left in the third quarter was his third of the season and seventh of his career.
· McCoy is 42-of-56 (75.0%) for 622 yards and six TDs (one INT) for a 200.1 QB rating over his last two games.
· McCoy tallied four TD passes for the third time in his career (vs. Baylor, 2006; at Texas Tech, 2006)
· McCoy's 348 total yards (298p/50r) marked the second-best output of his career behind his 352 total yards (346p/6r) against Oklahoma State last season.
· McCoy's 44-yard TD run with 2:50 left in the third quarter was his first of the season and the third of his career.
· The 44-yard run set a new career high, eclipsing his 33-yard run at Texas Tech last season.
· McCoy eclipsed the 200-yard mark for the eighth consecutive game and the 13th time in his 20 career games.
· McCoy has thrown at least one TD pass in 18 of his 20 career games.
· McCoy has thrown two or more TD passes in 14 of his 20 career games.
· Melton's forced fumble late in the game was the first of his career.
· With two TDs (58, 5), Shipley has three on the season and seven for his career.
· This marks the first multiple-TD game for Shipley.
· Shipley's 58-yard TD reception is a new career long, bettering his 56-yard reception against Sam Houston St. in 2006.
· Shipley's 71 receiving yards eclipsed his previous career high of 68, which he set against Sam Houston St. in 2006.
Game Captains: #6 Quan Cosby, #71 Chris Hall, #21 Erick Jackson, #40 Robert Killebrew
Coin Toss: Iowa State wins the toss; Iowa State elects to receive; Texas elects to defend the South end zone.