No. 4 Texas 21, Arkansas State 13
September 1, 2007
Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium -- Austin, Texas
· Texas is now 1-0 all-time vs. Arkansas State and 12-0 vs. teams from the Sun Belt Conference.
· Texas is now 95-17-3 (.839) in season-opening games.
· Texas is now 74-7-2 (.904) when it opens the season at home.
· Texas is 9-1 in Mack Brown's openers.
· Brown has won 17 of his last 20 season-opening games, including 11 of his last 12.
· Texas is 48-5 (.906) in home games during the Brown era.
· Texas moved to 90-9 (.909) in the Brown era when scoring 20 or more points.
· Texas moved to 79-7 (.919) in the Brown era when leading at halftime.
· With his performance, Charles moved up four spots on UT's all-time rushing list to 16th with 1,821 yards. He moved past Selvin Young (1,713), Shon Mitchell (1,724), Gib Dawson (1,724) and Byron Townsend (1,783).
· Charles' 10-yard TD run with 3:09 remaining in the third quarter was the 19th rushing TD and 22 overall TD of his career.
· Charles logged his fifth career 100-yard rushing game.
· Charles' 27 rushing attempts is a new career high eclipsing the 21 rushes he had against Oklahoma State in 2006.
· Cobb's TD reception with 2:49 remaining in the first quarter was the first reception of his career.
· Cosby recorded a reception for the 19th consecutive game.
· Cosby has logged three or more receptions in six consecutive games.
· Finley recorded a reception for the consecutive games.
· Jones' interception with 0:30 remaining in the first half was the first of his career.
· Jones' nine receptions are the most by a UT player since the 2005 Rose Bowl when David Thomas hauled in 10 passes.
· Jones' 72 receiving yards are a career-best, topping his 36 yards vs. Sam Houston State in 2006.
· Jones' nine receptions are a career best, topping his three receptions vs. Sam Houston State in 2006.
· McCoy moved passed Todd Dodge (2,791) for ninth place on UT's all-time passing yards list. He ended the game with 2,793 career yards.
· McCoy has an 11-3 career record as a starter.
· McCoy has thrown at least one TD in 12 of his 14 career games.
· McCoy has thrown two or more TDs in 11 of his 14 career games.
· McCoy's punt in the first quarter was the first of his career.
· Sweed started his 34th consecutive game.
· Sweed's TD reception with 12:25 remaining in the first quarter was the 18th of his career.
· With his 18-yard reception midway through the third quarter, Sweed moved into seventh place on UT's all-time reception list passing Tony Jones (108). Sweed ended the game with 110 receptions.
· With his performance, Sweed moved into sixth place on UT's all-time receiving yards list passing Wane McGarity (1,687). Sweed ended the game with 1,702 receiving yards.
Attendance: 84,440 - UT's 41st consecutive home sellout.
Game Captains: #9 Nate Jones, #26 Marcus Griffin, #33 Scott Derry, #79 Tony Hills
Coin Toss: Arkansas State wins toss; Arkansas State deferred choice to second half; Texas elected to receive kickoff; Arkansas State elected to defend the North Goal.