Dec. 1, 2012
Box Score |
No. 7/7 Kansas State 42, No. 23/21 Texas 24
Dec. 1, 2012
Bill Snyder Family Stadium
• K-State Series: Texas and Kansas State met for the 13th time tonight and the Wildcats now lead 8-5 in a series that dates back to 1913. K-State has won the last five in the series and five of the six played in Manhattan. Prior to the teams becoming Big 12 opponents in 1996, the Longhorns had won three of the series’ first four contests (64-0, 1942/41-7, 1927/46-0, 1913). This was the fifth all-time meeting with both teams ranked.
• Road Streak Snapped: Texas had its five game road-winning streak snapped tonight. Two of those wins were against ranked teams - No. 22 Oklahoma State and No. 20 Texas Tech. The Longhorns entered the game as one of only eight FBS teams to be undefeated on the road this season.
• 400 Yards of Total Offense: Texas outgained Kansas State, 413 to 352, marking the ninth time this season the Longhorns posted more than 400 yards of total offense.
• Return Game Held in Check: Kansas State entered the game with the No. 1-rated kickoff return (29.5 ypr) and punt return (22.9 ypr) units in the FBS. The Wildcats had just one punt return for 9 yards and two kickoff returns for 50 yards.
• Number Change: Mike Davis wore No. 5 tonight instead of No. 1 as a tribute to senior Jeremy Hills who suffered a season-ending injury vs. TCU.
Malcolm Brown, RB
• Had seven rushes for 40 yards and a team- and career-high seven receptions for 43 yards. He had his first-career TD catch, a 14-yarder in the fourth quarter.
Daje Johnson, RB
• Had a career-best five catches for 85 yards, including a 70-yard reception in the second quarter which set up a field goal.
Nick Jordan, PK
• Hit a 37-yard field in the first quarter which was his five straight connection. He was wide left on a 40-yard attempt in the fourth quarter to snap to the streak.
Case McCoy, QB
• Completed 26 of 34 passes for 314 yards in his first start since the 2011 Baylor game. He tossed two TD passes, but did have two interceptions. It was his second career 300-yard passing game (356 vs. Baylor, 2011).
• Completed 17 straight pass attempts (from third through 19th attempts), a mark which ranks tied for second in school history. His brother, Colt, had 18 vs. Oklahoma State in 2008 and 17 vs. Missouri, also in 2008.
• His 70-yard completion to Daje Johnson was the second longest of his career (80 yards to Marquise Goodwin vs. Baylor in 2011).
Adrian Phillips, S
• Made his second interception of the season and second in the last two games. The pick occurred in the end zone early in the second quarter and stopped a K-State scoring drive.
Jaxon Shipley, WR
• Had five catches for 68 yards, including a 14-yard TD reception. He has averaged 6.3 receptions and 95.0 receiving yards over the last three games.
Kenny Vaccaro, S
• Credited with a team-high 12 tackles. He has averaged 9.4 tackles over the last eight games. He also forced a fumble (recovered by K-State), marking the third time he has done that in the last six games.