Oct. 27, 2012
Box Score |
• The Series: This was the 12th meeting between the teams in a series that dates back to 1901. The Longhorns now lead the series 10-2, including wins in the last 10. The only losses came in 1901 and 1938 in Lawrence. The Horns have won all 10 matchups in Big 12 play. Texas is 5-2 in Lawrence.
• Comebacks Under Brown: During Mack Brown's 15 seasons at Texas, the Horns have registered 27 second-half comebacks, including 16 fourth-quarter comebacks. This is the Horns second comeback victory of the season. They trailed twice in the fourth quarter (33-28 & 36-34) of the Oklahoma State game before rallying.
• Big 12 Road Success: Texas is 3-0 on the road this season and has won 37 of its last 44 true Big 12 road games (excluding neutral-site games).
• Second-Half Defense: After surrendering 198 yards of total offense, including 177 on the ground, in the first half, the Longhorns held Kansas to 75 total yards in the second half. The Jayhawks had 23 rushing attempts in the final 30 minutes and gained just 57 yards (2.5 ypc). James Simms had 139 yards on 14 first-half carries, but was held to 37 rushing yards on 14 attempts in the second half.
• Fourth-Quarter Offense: The Longhorn offense came through in the fourth quarter. Over the first nine offensive possessions of the game, Texas gained 188 total yards on 42 plays. But on their final two drives of the contest, which resulted in touchdowns, the Longhorns posted 154 yards on 16 plays.
Joe Bergeron, RB
• Scored his 15th rushing touchdown of the season in the first quarter. Now sits alone in seventh place on the Texas single-season rushing TD list.
• All of his 20 career rushing touchdowns have occurred in his last 12 games.
Mike Davis, WR
• Had four receptions for 59 receiving yards. He vaulted from ninth to seventh on the Texas career receptions list (126). He passed Eric Metcalf (1985-88/125) and Limas Sweed (2004-07/124). Davis also moved to 10th on the career receiving yards chart (1,646). He passed Johnny 'Lam' Jones (1976-79) who was 10th with 1,603
Quandre Diggs, CB
• Had his first-career sack on the opening drive of the game.
Marquise Goodwin, WR
• Caught one pass for 41 yards and had an 11-yard TD rush in the fourth quarter, his second of the season.
• His 41-yard reception, which set up the tying TD in the fourth quarter, was credited as a run during the game, but later changed to a pass from Case McCoy (shoveled forward while Goodwin was in motion).
D.J. Grant, TE
• Had one catch for 1 yard, but it was the game-winning touchdown grab with 12 seconds left in the game. Five of his 29 career catches have gone for touchdowns.
Johnathan Gray, RB
• Made his first-career start.
• Posted a career highs in carries (18) and rushing yards (111).
Alex King, P
• Averaged 42.6 yards on five punts. Dropped three inside 20-yard line, including inside the 5. Twelve of his 27 punts this season have gone inside the opponents' 20-yard line.
Case McCoy, QB
• Led the team to two fourth-quarter scoring drives. Did not throw a pass on the first scoring drive, but went 6-for-8 for 109 yards on the game-winning drive.
Alex Okafor, DE
• Credited with 13 tackles which set a career high for the second straight week. He had 10 last week vs. Baylor.
Jaxon Shipley, WR
• Posted a game-high receptions for 66 yards. Had a total of two catches during the previous two games.
updated Oct. 28, 2012