Oct. 13, 2012
Box Score |
• The Series: Texas now holds a 59-43-5 lead in the all-time series. The Sooners have won three straight, but the teams have split the last eight meetings.
• Scoring on Defense: The Longhorns scored on defense for the third time this season when Carrington Byndom went 28 yards for a touchdown on a Landry Jones third-quarter interception. Jackson Jeffcoat recovered a Geno Smith fumble in the end zone in the second quarter of last week’s game and Steve Edmond had a 22-yard interception return for a TD vs. Ole Miss. Texas has scored 84 non-offensive touchdowns since 1999 which is tied for the most in the FBS with Virginia Tech. Kansas State is third with 83.
• Block that Kick: The Longhorns blocked their sixth kick of the season, an extra-point attempt in the first quarter. Texas came into the game with a nation’s best five blocked kicks (three punts, one field goal, one extra point). Georgia, Purdue and SMU had four apiece heading into this weekend’s games.
• Two-Point that Kick: The Longhorns had their first 2-point conversion return in 13 years when Quandre Diggs returned a blocked point-after attempt in the first quarter. Lee Jackson went 96 yards after a failed conversion in 1999 vs. Texas A&M.
Carrington Byndom, CB
• Scored Texas’ first touchdown of the game after returning an interception 28 yards in the third quarter. Two of his four career interceptions have been returned for touchdowns (Texas A&M, 2011).
• Recorded 10 tackles to set a new career high. His previous career best was eight tackles against BYU in 2011.
Mike Davis, WR
• Passed Johnny Walker (114/1987-90) in career receptions at Texas with five catches for 89 yards and one touchdown. Davis now has 116 in his career.
• Made a 44-yard reception to score Texas’ first offensive touchdown of the game in the fourth quarter. It was his third TD reception of the season and sixth of his career.
Quandre Diggs, CB
• Returned a blocked extra point attempt to record Texas’ first two points of the game (blocked by DT Chris Whaley).
John Harris, WR
• Caught his first career touchdown pass on the last play of the game, a 19-yard reception from Case McCoy.
Case McCoy, QB
• Played the last two drives in the fourth quarter, amassing 102 passing yards, two touchdowns on 5-of-8 passing for a 252.1 QB rating.
• Connected with Mike Davis on a 44-yard pass for his first touchdown pass of the season.
• Found John Harris in the end zone on a 19-yard pass on the last play of the game.
Adrian Phillips, CB
• Set new career highs in tackles in the last two games. Recorded nine against West Virginia and 10 against Oklahoma, including one tackle for loss.
Mykkele Thompson, DB
• Started his second career game at safety
• Posted a career-high 12 tackles – had 10 last game.
Chris Whaley, DT
• Blocked OU’s first extra-point attempt, which was returned by Quandre Diggs for Texas’ first points of the game. It was his second blocked extra point of the game.