Sept. 1, 2012
Box Score |
No. 15 Texas 37, Wyoming 17
Sept. 1 , 2012
Darrell K Royal - Texas Memorial Stadium at Joe Jamail Field
· The game attendance was 101,142 which is the eighth-largest crowd in Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium history. It is the 18th all-time game at DKR with an attendance of 100,000 or more.
Honorary Game Captains: Darrell K Royal and Miss Edith Royal
Game Captains: Trey Hopkins, Mason Walters, Alex Okafor, Kenny Vaccaro
Coin Toss: Wyoming won the coin toss and deferred to the second half ... Texas elected to defend the north end zone.
· The series: The Longhorns have won all five games in the series, which dates back to 1974. Wyoming led in the first half of the last two meetings, but Texas has outscored the Cowboys, 163-44, in the five games.
· Season openers: UT is now 100-17-3 in season openers, including victories in the last 13. Mack Brown is 14-1 in season openers at Texas.
· Backfield tandem: Sophomore running backs Malcolm Brown and Joe Bergeron both recorded 100-yard rushing games. It is the second time the tandem has registered 100 yards or more in the same game. The first was during a 44-0 shutout against Kansas on Oct. 29, 2011. Bergeron rushed for 110 yards, his third 100-yard rushing game. Brown finished with 105 yards, his fourth career 100-yard rushing game. Three different UT running backs scored touchdowns - Bergeron (2), Brown (1) and senior D.J. Monroe (1).
· True freshmen: There were 12 true freshmen (Kyle Ashby, Malcom Brown Alex De La Torre, Johnathan Gray, Marcus Johnson, Cayleb Jones, Nick Jordan, Peter Jinkens, Nick Rose, Kendall Sanders, Dalton Santos, Duke Thomas) whom saw playing time for the first time against Wyoming.
· WYO fast start: Wyoming tallied nine points on its first two drives of the game, but were then held without a score over the next five possessions.
· Second quarter turnaround: In the second quarter Texas out-scored Wyoming 17-0 with a 154-to-25 advantage in total yards.
· Points off turnovers: Trailing 9-7, the Longhorns got a jumpstart from its defense, which collected a pair of interceptions. The Longhorns took possession in Wyoming territory each time and scored touchdowns.
· Spreading the ball around: 10 different receivers caught passes from David Ash with Jaxon Shipley (7) and Mike Davis (4) leading in receptions.
· Run defense: The Texas run defense held the Cowboys to 69 yards on 30 carries with no rushing touchdowns.
· Third-down efficiency: The Horns had a decided advantage on third down, converting 9-of-17 opportunities. The defense was able to hold the Cowboys to a 1-of-11 conversion rate on third-down.
· Cowboys passing: Wyoming totaled passing 276 yards. 152 of those yards were gained on three receptions.
Mack Brown ERA MARKS
· 142-39 overall
· 3-0 against Wyoming
· 87-6 when winning the turnover margin
· 119-7 when outrushing an opponent
· 73-2 when rushing for more than 200 yards
David Ash, QB
· Started his seventh career game.
· Threw 20-for-27 (.741) with 156 yards and one touchdown pass. It is his best completion percentage since connecting on 14-of-18 (.777) passes against Kansas on Oct. 29, 2011.
Joe Bergeron, RB
· Two touchdowns on 110 rushing yards, his third career 100-yard game.
Malcolm Brown, RB
· One touchdown on 105 rushing yards, his fourth career 100-yard game.
Carrington Byndom, CB
· Posted his third career interception in the second quarter which set up D.J. Monroe's 7-yard rushing TD.
Steve Edmond, LB
· Earned his first career start (MLB) and tied a career-high six tackles. Also recorded six tackles at Iowa State on Oct. 1, 2011.
D.J. Monroe, RB/WR
· Scored his second career TD (both rushing) in the second quarter on a 7-yard run. On the night he posted 51 all-purpose yards on six touches.
Alex Okafor, DE
· Recorded Texas' only sack of the night to increase his career sacks total to 10.5. Also posted five tackles, including one for-loss.
Jaxon Shipley, WR
· Caught seven passes for 45 yards to lead the Longhorns receiving corps. It is the sophomore's third career game with six or more receptions. His career high of nine receptions came against Oklahoma on Oct. 8, 2011.
Kenny Vaccaro, FS
· Posted his fourth career interception in the second quarter, returning it 19 yards to set up a Longhorn touchdown drive.