TEXAS (5-2) vs. LSU (5-1)
Sunday, Dec. 10, 2006 · 7 p.m. Central
Toyota Center (18,500) · Houston, Texas
Television: The game will be televised nationally by ESPN. Dan Shulman (pxp), Dick Vitale (analyst) and Doris Burke (reporter) will call the action.
(reporter) will call the action.
Radio: The Longhorn Sports Network and KVET (FM 98.1/1300 AM Sportsradio The Zone) broadcast every UT game on the statewide network. Craig Way (pxp) and Eddie Oran (color) will call the action. Check www.TexasSports.com for a listing of affiliates carrying the game.
Series: LSU leads, 19-10.
Last meeting: LSU 70-60, OT (March 25, 2006; Atlanta).
Series vs. LSU
Sunday's contest marks the 30th meeting between the two schools. The Tigers hold a 19-10 advantage in the all-time series heading into Sunday's game.
The series dates back to Feb. 13, 1911, when LSU registered a 40-15 victory in Baton Rouge. This marks the third straight game between the two schools that has been played on a neutral court (2000 NCAA Second Round in Salt Lake City; 2006 NCAA "Elite Eight" in Atlanta; Sunday at Houston's Toyota Center).
"Elite Eight" Rematch? Not Quite
Sunday's contest also is a rematch of last year's NCAA "Elite Eight" game in Atlanta, although to call it a true rematch would be inaccurate. LSU won that game (70-60) in overtime and advanced to the Final Four. Only one Texas player (A.J. Abrams) on the current UT roster saw game action in that contest. Abrams tallied six points in 19 minutes off the bench.
Success in Houston Under Barnes
Sunday's game marks the fifth contest played in the Houston area during the Rick Barnes era at Texas. The Horns have posted a 3-1 mark in games played in Houston under Barnes entering Sunday's contest, including an 85-58 victory against Rice at the Toyota Center last season.
Horns in Houston Under Barnes
11/17/98 vs. Houston, Hofheinz Pavilion L, 69-71
12/20/00 vs. Houston, Hofheinz Pavilion W, 71-60
11/30/02 vs. Seton Hall, Reliant Stadium W, 78-61
12/5/05 vs. Rice, Toyota Center W, 85-58
· Sophomore center Connor Atchley is from Clear Lake, a suburb of Houston. He played at Clear Lake High School and averaged 15 points, eight boards and three blocks per game as a senior (2003-04) while helping Clear Lake reach the second round of the Class 5A state playoffs.
· Freshman point guard D.J. Augustin played his senior season at Fort Bend Hightower High School in Sugar Land, another suburb of Houston. The Augustin family was forced to leave its home in New Orleans due to Hurricane Katrina in August, 2005, and has since relocated to Houston. Augustin averaged 19 points, 6.1 assists and 5.7 steals per game last year while leading Hightower to the 5A Region III quarterfinals.
· Freshman center Dexter Pittman is from Rosenberg, a suburb of Houston.
He played at Terry High School and averaged 17.1 points, 11.0 rebounds and 3.0 blocks per game while leading Terry to the 4A Region III semifinals as a senior.
· Freshman guard Harrison Smith is from Houston Jones High School. He averaged 30 points, seven boards and five assists per game while leading Jones to the second round of the 4A state tournament as a senior. In his sophomore season (2003-04), he teamed with former UT star Daniel Gibson on Jones' Class 4A state championship team.
· Assistant coach Rodney Terry is a native of Angleton and attended Angleton High School. He also spent one year (1995-96) as the head coach at Angleton HS.
Gonzaga Game Notes
· The Longhorns were 10-of-29 from beyond the arc. UT has made at least 10 three-pointers in four consecutive and five of its first seven games this season.
· Kevin Durant tied his career high in points (29) and set a career high in free throws made (10-of-10). He has scored at least 20 points in all seven games.
· The 29 points by Durant tied for the fourth-most points in a single game by a UT freshman.
· Durant also tied the school record for highest free throw percentage in a single game (1.000, minimum 10 attempts). He became the 13th different player in UT history to post a perfect mark from the stripe with at least 10 attempts in a game. Durant is now 40-of-43 (.930) from the free throw line this year.
· Justin Mason registered career highs in points (17), field goals made (7-of-11), three-point field goals made (3-of-5), assists (four), steals
(two) and minutes played (35).
· The seven freshmen combined to log 63 of the 77 points (81.8%), 26 of the 29 rebounds (89.7%) and eight of the 10 assists (80%).
· Gonzaga became the first UT opponent this year to shoot at least 50% from the floor (.500, 31-of-62).
· Texas had more turnovers (12) than assists (10, season low) for just the second time this season (13 assists/16 turnovers against St. John's).
A Check of the Polls
Texas is not ranked in the most recent Associated Press Top 25 poll (Dec. 4) or the latest ESPN/USA Today Top 25 Coaches poll (Dec. 4). The Longhorns were tabbed No. 21 in the AP Preseason poll, marking the fifth consecutive year and ninth time in the last 11 seasons that UT has been ranked in the AP Preseason poll. During the Barnes era, the Horns have spent 101 weeks in the AP Top 25, including 41 in the Top 10.