Nov. 15, 2012
EA SPORTS Maui Invitational
TEXAS (2-0) vs. Chaminade (2-1)
Monday, Nov. 19, 2012 • 8:30 p.m. CT
Maui, Hawai'i • Lahaina Civic Center (2,400)
Sean McDonough (play-by-play); Jay Bilas (analyst); Bill Raftery (analyst)
Radio: Longhorn IMG Radio Network
Satellite Radio: XM 202 / Sirius 216
Streaming Audio: TexasSports.com
Series: Texas leads, 1-0
Texas 84, Chaminade 62
Nov. 22, 2004 - Maui Invitational
Texas Game Notes | Maui Blog
Longhorns in the EA SPORTS Maui Invitational
• Texas will make its fourth appearance in the EA SPORTS Maui Invitational on Monday against host Chaminade.
• The Longhorns are 6-3 in the Invitational with previous appearances in 1993, 2004 and 2008.
• 1993 (2-1): Lost to No. 5 Kentucky in the first round, but finished fifth after winning two consolation-round games against Tennessee Tech and Notre Dame.
• 2004 (2-1): Opened with a win against host Chaminade and narrowly lost to Iowa, 82-80. Finished third after defeating Tennessee, 95-70. Brad Buckman named to All-Tournament
• 2008 (2-1): Defeated St. Joseph’s in the first round, 68-50. Lost to No. 8 Notre Dame by one point, 80-81, before winning the 3rd-place game against Oregon, 70-57.
• Last two losses in Maui have been by a total of three points (80-82 vs. Iowa, 2004; 80-81 vs. No. 8 Notre Dame, 2008).
• Maui participants have won 63 of 74 NCAA championships and 59 of 74 national runner-up spots while comprising 243 of 296 Final Four teams.
Series vs. Chaminade
• Texas leads the series with Chaminade, 1-0. The first meeting between the teams was in the first round of the 2004 EA SPORTS Maui Invitational. P.J. Tucker had 15 points and
11 rebounds for the then-No. 15 Longhorns, who finished third in the tournament that year.
• Texas is out-rebounding opponents by a +18.5 margin (46.5-to-28.5) in the first two games of the season.
• Against Coppin State, UT held a +25 rebound margin (50-25). Five Longhorns had five rebounds or more in that game, led by nine rebounds from both Ioannis Papapetrou and Prince Ibeh. It marked the largest margin for the Longhorns since outrebounding Temple 48-23 (+25) last season.
• Texas has limited its first two opponent to an average of 49.5 ppg on a combined 30.2 percent FG shooting (35-116), including a 19.6 percent mark from 3-point range (10-51).
• UT held both of its opponents under 40 percent shooting in the first two games (Fresno State - .356; Coppin State - .246).
• Texas is 208-19 in the Barnes era when holding opponents to under 40 percent field goal shooting. Since Barnes arrived in Austin, the Horns have held 227 of their 481 opponents to under 40 percent FG shooting.
• Coppin State’s 24.6 percent shooting is the lowest by a UT opponent since Texas State shot 25.9 percent last season.
McCLELLAN: GO-TO SCORING OPTION
• Sheldon McClellan is averaging a team-best 22.5 points per game after the first two games of the season.
• The top returning scorer averaged 11.3 points per game last season.
• McClellan set a career-high 25 points against Coppin State (11/12). His previous career high was 24 points against Oklahoma (2/29/12).
• Two of his four 20-point games in his career have come this season.
• At the free throw line, McClellan is shooting 91.7 percent (22-24). In the season-opener he made 14- of-14 from the charity stripe – the most made by any Longhorn in a game without missing.
McCLELLAN IMPROVING 2011-12 2012-13
Points / game 11.3 22.5
FG % 44.8 50.0
FT % 75.6 91.7
HOLMES CLEANING THE GLASS
• Jonathan Holmes is averaging a team-best 10.0 rebounds per game and set a career high of 14 rebounds in UT’s season opener against Fresno State (11/9).
• 10 of his 20 rebounds are on the offensive glass.
• Last season, Holmes averaged 4.8 rebounds per game.
2011-12 4.8 rpg
2012-13 10.0 rpg