March 3, 2011
#7/8 Texas (24-6, 12-3 Big 12) at Baylor (18-11, 7-8 Big 12)
Saturday, March 5, 2011 • 8 pm (Central)
Ferrell Center (10,284) • Waco, Texas
GAME DAY QUICK FACTS
TELEVISION: The game will be televised nationally by ESPN. Dan Shulman (pxp), Jay Bilas (analyst) and Erin Andrews (reporter) will call the action.
RADIO: The Longhorn Sports Network and KVET (FM 98.1/1300 AM Sportsradio The Zone) broadcast every UT game on the statewide network and on XM Satellite Radio Ch. 231. Craig Way (pxp) and Eddie Oran (analyst) will call the action. Check TexasSports.com for a listing of affiliates carrying the game.
SERIES: Texas leads, 156-79. Last meeting: Texas 69-60 (Feb. 12, 2011; Austin)
Following its 75-70 home loss to Kansas State on Monday, the Horns sport a 24-6 mark on the season. This marks the fifth time in program history (fourth in Rick Barnes era) that UT has started the year with at least 24 wins in its first 30 contests. The 2007-08 Elite Eight team, the 2005-06 Elite Eight squad and the 1977-78 NIT Championship team all posted 25-5 marks through the first 30 games. The 2002-03 Final Four team boasted a 24-6 mark through the first 30 contests.
Series vs. Baylor
Success Against Baylor in Waco
Texas has faced Baylor more times (235 entering Saturday) than any other opponent. In fact, UT's opening four games in the school's first year of basketball (1906) came against the Bears (Texas won all four). The only time Texas and Baylor did not meet since 1906 was in 1908, when the Longhorns did not field a team. The Horns have won 50 of the last 61 meetings between the two schools dating back to the 1982-83 season.
Texas holds a 63-46 advantage all-time against Baylor in games played in Waco entering Saturday's contest. The Horns are 11-1 against the Bears in Waco during the Rick Barnes
era. Seven of the 11 wins have come by double-digit margins.
Lone Star State Success
Since Rick Barnes arrived in Austin, the Longhorns have emerged as the dominant college basketball program in the state of Texas. The Horns have posted a 109-15 (.879) record against in-state foes during the Barnes era, including marks of 25-4 against Baylor, 20-7 against Texas A&M and 25-3 against Texas Tech.
Looking for 13 Wins in Big 12 Play ... Again
With a win at Baylor on Saturday, Texas would tie its school record for Big 12 wins in a year (13). The Horns have reached the 13-win mark a total of five times since the inception of the league in 1996-97.
Kansas State Game Notes
• Texas dropped back-to-back games for the first time this season.
• UT recorded a 39-36 advantage on the glass. It marked the 13th time in 15 league games and 25th time in 30 contests that the Horns had outrebounded its opponent. This marked the first time in league play that UT won the battle of the boards and lost the game.
• Tristan Thompson (26 points, 10 rebounds, three blocks) recorded his sixth double-double this year. He set career highs in points and field goals made (9-of-14) and tied his career high in free throws made (8-of-13). Thompson topped the 20-point mark for the fourth time this season. He reached double figures in points for the 24th time this year. Thompson reached double digits in rebounding for the seventh time this season. He recorded at least three blocks for the 11th time this year.
• Jordan Hamilton (14 points) reached double figures in scoring for the 29th time this season and 47th time in his career (64 games).
• J'Covan Brown (11 points) reached double digits in points for the 13th time this season and 28th time in his career (63 games).
• Gary Johnson (10 rebounds) reached double figures in rebounds for the sixth time this year and 12th time in his career (118 games).
• Cory Joseph tied his career high in assists (seven).
Hamilton's Solid Season
Through the first 30 contests this year, sophomore Jordan Hamilton leads the team in scoring (18.7 ppg), is tied for the team lead in double-doubles (six) and ranks second in rebounding (7.5 rpg). He has converted 197-of-448 (.440) field goals, including 80-of-199 (.402) from three-point range, and 86-of-110 (.782) free throws. Hamilton has topped the 20-point mark in 13 of the first 30 games.
Joseph Does the Dishes
Cory Joseph recorded a career-high seven assists without a turnover against Iowa State (Feb. 22). He had five assists against one turnover at Colorado (Feb. 26). Joseph tied his career high with seven assists against just one turnover in Monday's loss to Kansas State (Feb. 28). In his last five games, Joseph has 23 assists against just two turnovers.
Thompson Not Playing Like a Freshman
Tristan Thompson has played beyond his years on both ends of the court. Through his first 30 collegiate contests, Thompson leads the team in rebounding (7.6 rpg) and blocks (67), is tied for the team lead in double-doubles (six), and ranks second in scoring (13.3 ppg) and steals (30). He has converted 142-of-266 (.534) field goals on the year. Nearly half (108) of his 227 total rebounds have come on the offensive glass. Thompson has reached double figures in scoring in 24 of UT's first 30 games. Thompson recorded his sixth double-double with his 26-point, 10-rebound performance on Monday against Kansas State (Feb. 28).