Nov. 9, 2012
Recap | Box Score | Quotes | Photo Gallery
Texas 55, Fresno State 53
Friday, Nov. 9, 2012
Frank C. Erwin Center • 10,389
• Season Openers: Texas is 88-19 in season-opening games, including a 13-2 mark under coach Rick Barnes. The Longhorns debuted their 107th season of basketball on Friday.
• Home Openers: Texas is 92-15 in home openers, including a 31-5 mark in the Frank Erwin Center (since the 1977-78 season). The Horns are 13-2 in home openers under coach Rick Barnes.
• Success in The Drum: Texas is 108-12 at the Erwin Center in the last eight seasons (dating to the start of the 2005-06 season) and have registered an all-time record of 423-98 in the building. Since Rick Barnes arrived in Austin, UT has recorded a 198-27 mark at home, including a 94-19 record in Big 12 Conference home games. Texas enters its 36th year of play in the Erwin Center.
• Series vs. Fresno State: This marks the third meeting between Texas and Fresno State. UT now holds a 2-1 advantage, including a 2-0 mark at the Erwin Center.
• Freshmen starting in season openers: Texas tied the school record for most freshman starters in a season opener for the second consecutive season and fourth time overall as a program. Javan Felix, Ioannis Papapetrou and Cameron Ridley started on Friday. • The trio are the 29th, 30th and 31st freshmen in UT history to start a season opener.
Last year, Jonathan Holmes, Myck Kabongo and Julien Lewis made their debut as starters in the season opener against Boston University (Nov. 13, 2011). The trio of D.J. Augustin, Kevin Durant and Damion James each earned the starting nod in the 2006-07 season opener against Alcorn State (Nov. 9, 2006), while Fred Carson, LaSalle Thompson and George Turner made their debut as starters in the 1979-80 season opener against Northwestern Louisiana (Nov. 30, 1979).
• Under 40% FG Defense: UT held Fresno State to a 35.6 percent FG shooting (21-of-59) for the evening. Texas sports a 207-19 mark in the Barnes era when holding opponents to under 40 percent FG shooting. Since Barnes arrived in Austin, the Horns have held 226 of their 480 opponents to under 40 percent FG shooting.
• Freshman Cameron Ridley recorded three blocks to tie the Texas record for blocks by a freshman in a season-opener. He tied Damion James’ mark set on Nov. 9, 2006 against Alcorn State.
• Sophomore Jonathan Holmes recorded career highs in rebounds (14) and minutes played (34).
• Sophomore Sheldon McClellan reached double digits in scoring (20 points) for the 21st time in his career (34 games). McClellan finished 14-for-14 from the free throw line, It marks the 20th time a Texas player has recorded a perfect free throw percentage with more than 10 attempts.
• Freshman Javan Felix recorded 10 points and nine rebounds.
• Three-Point Streak: The Longhorns made one 3-point field goal on Friday (Demarcus Holland), extending its streak to 723 consecutive games with at least one 3-pointer. The last time Texas did not convert a three-pointer in a contest came on Dec. 18, 1990, in an 87-84 overtime victory at UC-Santa Barbara.