AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- Kevin Durant scored 21 points and had 15 rebounds to lead Texas to an 84-52 victory over Texas-Arlington Tuesday night.
It was Durant's seventh double-double in his first 13 collegiate games and the 11th time he has scored at least 20 points.
A.J. Abrams scored 20 points and D.J. Augustin added 14 points for Texas (10-3).
Jermaine Griffin had a double-double with 16 points and 12 rebounds to help Texas-Arlington (4-8) keep things a lot more interesting through the first 20 minutes than last season's 38-point loss. Texas-Arlington coupled a poor shooting performance by the Longhorns with one of their own as they shot 27 percent from the floor compared to 39 percent from Texas in the first half.
In the end, though, there was just too much Durant. He scored 16 points and had seven rebounds in the second half.
A reverse layup from Larry Posey gave Texas-Arlington a 14-13 lead with 10:37 left in the first half. That was the only lead the Mavericks gained all night. Craig Winder scored four points and grabbed four rebounds off the bench for Texas during a 14-7 run to end the half.
Texas-Arlington cut the Longhorns' lead to six two minutes into the half. But Abrams and Durant helped Texas pull away.
The Longhorns had 11 blocks and 30 points in the paint. They extend their win streak to two games heading into conference play at Colorado on Saturday.
· Kevin Durant logged his seventh double-double of the season with 21 points and 15 rebounds.
· Kevin Durant equaled his career high with four assists. His previously recorded four assists against St. John's on November 17.
· Kevin Durant has reached the 20-point plateau in 11 of his 13 games this season and the freshman has tallied double digits in the scoring column in every game.
· Texas has recorded at least 10 blocked shots in three games this season.
· The Longhorns owned an 11-1 advantage in blocked shots for the game. On the season, Texas owns a 84-36 edge over opponents in blocked shots.
· Damion James recorded at least 10 rebounds for the fourth time this season.
· Texas has started the season with an 8-0 record at the Erwin Center for the fourth time in the last five seasons. This season the Longhorns own a +28.5 scoring margin in their eight home games.
· Texas has posted a 61-6 (.910) mark in non-conference home games during the Rick Barnes era. The Horns have won 54 of their last 56 non-conference home contests.
· Texas has registered a 95-8 (.922) record in home games against unranked (AP) opponents during the Rick Barnes era. The Horns have won 56 of their last 58 home contests against unranked opponents.
· The Longhorns posted their 19th straight road win and are 67-4 (.944) at the Erwin Center over the last five seasons.
· The Horns have posted a 69-6 (.920) record against in-state foes during the Rick Barnes era.
· Texas has a perfect 17-0 mark against current members of the Southland Conference during the Rick Barnes era.
· D.J. Augustin has reached double figures in the scoring column in each of the last six games. He had accomplished the feat just three times in the first seven games.
· A.J. Abrams has made at least three 3-pointers in 11 of the first 13 games.
· A.J. Abrams reached the 20-point plateau for the fifth time on the season.
· Texas has had at least one player log at least 20 points in game every game this season.
· Texas has had two players with at least 20 points in six games this season. Abrams and Durant have each recorded at least 20 points in the same game on five occasions this season.
· Texas has had at least one player log at least 10 rebounds in each of the last six contest and the 10 times on the year.
· Texas has made at least seven 3-pointers in 11 of their first 13 games.
· The seven freshmen combined to log 55 of the 84 points (65.5%), 37 of the 47 rebounds (78.7%) and 10 of the 14 assists (71.4%).
TEXAS-ARLINGTON POSTGAME QUOTES
Scott Cross, Head Coach
On the Texas team: This was a tough one for us. We aren't going to play a more talented team than Texas. They have a future pro in [Kevin] Durant and A.J. Abrams plays really well.
On what happened in the second half: We had a good first half, but we have to learn to put two halves together before we start conference, but we will be okay.
Jermaine Griffin, Junior Forward
On the second half: They really kicked it up in the second half. They came out strong on the boards and out rebounded us by 12 in the second half. This is something we are going to have to go back and work on before we start conference games.
TEXAS POSTGAME QUOTES
Rick Barnes, Head Coach
On what he took from tonight's game: There is a lot more to like than there is to dislike. They're making a conscience effort to help out on defense. The defense was good and they did a good job of taking over in the second half. We had lots of open shots. We just didn't make them.
On why they got off to a slow start: We missed shots. That happens some nights. We missed some free throws. You have to play the game all the way through. You would like to have a big lead early on, but that's why you play the whole 40 minutes. The team has played 12 games. They know how to come back and they are proving to themselves that they can do it.
Kevin Durant, Freshman Forward
On the game: We played a good game. We were down in the first-half in rebounding, but we only had one turnover. We played good defense and came out strong in the second half. We were only down 10 in the second half and I took it upon myself to score. Coach ran some isolation plays for me and I made some open shots. I give credit to my teammates for getting me the ball.
On conference play: We play hard and get up and down the floor. We can shoot the three, take it to the basket and pound it inside to our posts.
A.J. Abrams, Sophomore Guard
On the non-conference season: We played together well and we are finding out each other's strengths. This is a different level of play and we're having to adjust to the game. We have learned playing defense and how to help each other.
On the upcoming conference season: Last year there were a lot of veterans on the team. This year is going to be different. Coach has been telling us that part two of the season is coming up. We won't have as many days off in between games so we won't have as much time to adjust to different styles of play.