Prior to this weekend's series, three of the four meetings between UT and Long Beach State have come during NCAA Regional Tournament play. While two of those games were played in Austin, where was the other regional matchup contested?
No. 16 Texas (11-8, 0-0 Big 12) vs. No. 19 Long Beach State (11-7, 0-0 Big West)
When: March 10-12, 2006, at 6:15/2/1 p.m. Central
Where: Austin, Texas (Disch-Falk Field)
Promotions: Friday, March 10 -- Nike Night: All fans in Nike apparel will receive $1 off a general admission ticket. Additionally, the first 200 general admission fans receive a UT Athletics rally towel.
Saturday, March 11 -- The first 300 fans will receive a Longhorns Megaphone.
All-Time Series: Texas leads 3-1.
First Meeting: 6/3/1989; a 7-1 Texas win in Omaha, Neb.
Last Meeting: 5/25/2001; an 11-2 Texas win in Stanford, Calif.
Streak: UT has won the last two meetings between these two clubs.
Garrido vs. LBSU: 67-23 (1-0 at UT).
PROBABLE PITCHING MATCHUPS
March 10, 2006
LBSU RHP Jared Hughes (4-0, 3.69 ERA)
TEXAS RHP Adrian Alaniz (3-0, 2.37 ERA)
March 11, 2006
LBSU RHP Andrew Carpenter (2-1, 2.10 ERA)
TEXAS RHP Kyle McCulloch (1-2, 3.60 ERA)
March 12, 2006
LBSU RHP Vance Worley (1-3, 4.30 ERA)
TEXAS RHP Kenn Kasparek (1-1, 4.29 ERA)
· Texas has won 11 of its last 16 games, including two in a row.
· The Longhorns' offense has posted 12 or more hits in each of its last five contests.
· Junior third baseman/outfielder Nick Peoples, who boasts a current six-game hitting streak during which he is batting .654, was named the Phillips 66 Big 12 Player of the Week on March 8 after going a combined 11-for-14 (.786) with seven runs scored, two home runs and six RBI over a three-game series at UNLV (March 3-5).
· Junior outfielder Drew Stubbs is riding a team season-best, 13-game hitting streak while freshman outfielder Kyle Russell is the owner of a career-best, nine-game streak entering this weekend's action against Long Beach State.
· Up next, the Longhorns host No. 13 Arizona State in a 6:15 p.m. Central tilt at Disch-Falk Field on Tuesday, March 14. For tickets, call by phone (1-800-982-BEVO) or log on to www.TexasBoxOffice.com.
LONG BEACH STATE - QUICK FACTS
Nickname: Dirtbags or 49ers
Head Coach: Mike Weathers
2005 Record: 37-22
2005 Conference Record (Finish): 14-7 (2nd Big West)
2005 Postseason: NCAA Regional Tournament
The Longhorns and Dirtbags faced each other in the opening round of the 2001 NCAA Regional Tournament in Stanford, Calif., on May 25 of that year. Of note, Texas won that contest by a score of 11-2.