Feb. 25, 2013
Game 8 - vs. Sam Houston State game notes
Texas (6-1) vs. Sam Houston State (3-4)
Where: Austin, Texas (UFCU Disch-Falk Field)
Time: 5 p.m.
Live Stats: Gametracker on TexasSports.com
Television: Longhorn Network
(PbP - Kevin Dunn, Analyst - Rod Delmonico)
Radio: AM 1300 The Zone
(PbP - Craig Way, Analyst - David Saltzman)
All-Time Series: Texas leads, 72-17 (H: 70-17; A: 0-0; N: 2-0)
Probable Starting Pitchers
RHP Tyler Eppler (0-0, 3.86) vs. RHP Chad Hollingsworth (2-0, 1.59)
· The Longhorns' current 6-1 record is the best start for the team since 2009 when UT opened the season with an 11-game winning streak.
· Texas is 72-17 all-time against Sam Houston State and has won 11 straight games in the series. The Bearkats last beat the Longhorns, 3-1, on May 14, 2000, at UFCU Disch-Falk Field.
· Texas is 3-0 in one-run games this season after going 5-7 in one-run games last year.
· The Longhorns have 18 stolen bases this season (2.57 per game) with the school record being 2.66 stolen bases per game in 1982 when the Longhorns set a school record with 173 swipes in 65 games. Opponents have only attempted three stolen bases against junior catcher Jacob Felts and the Texas pitching staff with success on two of the attempts.
· The Texas starting pitchers this season have a combined 1.93 ERA and have averaged six innings per start. Opponents are hitting only .221 against them.
· Junior right fielder Mark Payton leads the team with a .500 batting average (12-for-24) through the first seven games of the season with a .667 slugging percentage, 10 RBI and four sacrifice hits.
· After giving up a run in each of his first two appearances, reliever Corey Knebel has not allowed a run in his last three appearances. In six innings, Knebel has given up only two hits while walking two and striking out 10 batters.
· Sophomore outfielder Taylor Stell is 5-for-6 this season for stolen bases and is 11-for-12 in his career.
· After committing two errors in the first two games, the Longhorns' defense has committed only two combined errors in the last five games.
· Parker French and Dillon Peters both threw seven innings during the Sacramento State series. It was the first time that two Texas pitchers have thrown seven or more innings in the same three-game series since May 6-7, 2011, when Taylor Jungmann and Cole Green each threw eight innings at Nebraska.
· With an average attendance of 5,824 at UFCU Disch-Falk Field this season, Texas ranks sixth in the nation.
· 28 out of 35 players were named to the Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll in the fall 2012 semester for earning a 3.0 grade-point-average or higher.
· On Feb. 22, head coach Augie Garrido earned his 700th win during his 17-year tenure at Texas. The Longhorns defeated Nebraska, 8-2.
· Head coach Augie Garrido needs 40 wins (1,853) to tie Gordon Gillespie for the most wins (1,893) by any college baseball coach at any level.
· This season marks the 30th anniversary of the 1983 national championship team.