Feb. 14, 2013
Game Notes: Game 1 vs. Sacramento State
Texas (0-0) vs. Sacramento State (0-0)
Upcoming Games Schedule
Where: Austin, Texas (UFCU Disch-Falk Field)
Time: 6:30 p.m.
Live Stats: Gametracker on TexasSports.com
Television: Longhorn Network
(PbP - Kevin Dunn, Analyst - Greg Swindell)
Radio: AM 1300 The Zone (PbP - Craig Way, Analyst - Roger Wallace)
All-Time Series: First meeting
Probable Starting Pitchers
Friday - RHP Tanner Mendonca (6-8, 4.74 in 2012)
vs. RHP Parker French (6-2, 2.84 in 2012)
Saturday - RHP Brennan Leitao (7-5, 5.00 in 2012)
vs. RHP Nathan Thornhill (4-5, 3.87 in 2012)
Sunday - RHP Zach Morgan (0-2, 5.58 in 2012) vs. TBA
· Tonight begins the 119th season of Texas Baseball with the Longhorns playing their first season in 1895.
· The top three hitters from last year's team returns for the 2013 season: Erich Weiss (.350), Mark Payton (.322) and Jacob Felts (.282)
· Four pitchers with a combined 34 starts from last year return in 2013: Nathan Thornhill (11), Dillon Peters (11), Parker French (nine) and Corey Knebel (three). John Curtiss, who recorded four starts, is out for the 2013 season after undergoing Tommy John surgery.
· 28 out of 35 players were named to the Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll in the fall 2012 semester for earning a 3.0 grade-point-average or higher.
· Head coach Augie Garrido needs 46 wins (1,847) to tie Gordon Gillespie for the most wins (1,893) by any college baseball coach at any level.
· Current Texas assistant coach Tommy Nicholson spent the last two seasons as assistant coach at Sacramento State.
· Since 2002, Texas is 9-2 in season openers and has won five straight openers.
· Texas has not lost a home opener at UFCU Disch-Falk Field since 2003 (5-0 loss to Texas A&M-Corpus Christi). The Longhorns did lose its opener in 2007 against San Diego, but the game was played at Dell Diamond in Round Rock.
· Erich Weiss opens the 2013 season ranked 15th on the Texas career batting average list (.3489) after batting .348 in his freshman season and .350 last year. Dustin Majewski (2002-03) holds the school career mark (.395).
· This season marks the 30th anniversary of the 1983 national championship team.
· Last season, Corey Knebel allowed only one earned run in his first seven appearances (eight innings for a 1.12 ERA).
· Jacob Felts batted .333 (26-for-78) in the final 21 games of the 2012 season.
· The Longhorns have five left-handers on their pitching staff (Dillon Peters, Kirby Bellow, Travis Duke, Toller Boardman and Ty Culbreth).
· The 2013 UT recruiting class was ranked seventh nationally by Baseball America. Three Longhorns placed in BA's 500 list with infielder C.J Hinojosa being the top-ranked Texas player at No. 70 nationally. Right-handed pitcher Holden Helmink came in at No. 218 while right-handed pitcher Chad Hollingsworth was ranked No. 224. The class was comprised of nine freshmen and five junior college transfers.