June 12, 2011
Box Score |
- Texas advances to the College World Series in Omaha, Nebraska for the 34th time, the most ever appearances by any one school. Texas' first game will be against Florida with date and time TBA.
- Today's game marked the 48th meeting between Texas and Arizona State on the diamond. Texas holds a 29-19 advantage in the all-time series.
- Texas is making its eighth NCAA Super Regional appearance and its third straight.
- Texas has now won its 7th NCAA Super Regional Championship.
- Arizona State is making its sixth NCAA Super Regional appearance and its fourth consecutive.
- The official attendance for the Super Regional's third session was 7,172.
No. 7 Texas (49-17)
- Texas' win moved its all-time mark in NCAA Regional/Super Regional play to 149-62-1 (eighth NCAA Super Regional appearance). Texas is now 15-6 in Super Regional play.
- The Horns own an 89-27 mark all-time in NCAA Regional/Super Regional play at UFCU Disch-Falk Field.
- This is Head Coach Augie Garrido's fifth decade of leading a team to the CWS (70's, 80's, 90's, 00's, 10's). He is the only coach to win championships in four different decades (1979, 1984, 1995, 2002, 2005).
- Texas has reached the CWS in the last eight different decades.
- Tant Shepherd's double in the first inning extended his team-leading hitting streak to eight games. Shepherd has now hit safely in all eight of Texas' postseason games.
- Tant Sheperd's two doubles in the game gives him 56 career doubles, moving him into sole possession of sixth place on the Texas career doubles list.
- Tant Shepherd's two hits gave him his 19th multi-hit game of the season.
- Brandon Loy's 3-for-4 day gave him his team-leading, 26th multi-hit game of the season.
- Corey Knebel picked up his 19th save of the season in the win, tying him with J. Brent Cox (2005) and Charlie Thames (2000) for UT's all-time single-season save record.
- Corey Knebel made his 37th appearance on the season, moving him into a tie with Chance Ruffin (2010) and J. Brent Cox (2004) for eighth-most appearance in a season for Texas.
Arizona State (43-18)
- Arizona State finishes its season with a record of 43-18.
- Arizona State's loss moved its all-time mark in NCAA Regional/Super Regional play to 86-31 (sixth* NCAA Super Regional appearance). ASU is now 9-7 in NCAA Super Regional play.
- Johnny Ruettiger went 0-4, snapping his 12-game hitting streak.
- Joey DeMichele's two-hit game marked his 22nd multi-hit game of the season.