June 6, 2010
2010 NCAA Baseball Championships | Austin Regional
Austin, Texas | UFCU Disch-Falk Field | Hosted by The University of Texas
Game 4 | Rice 9, Louisiana 1
- With the win Rice advances to take on Texas on Sunday at 6:30 p.m. The Owls will be the home team against Texas.
- Louisiana concludes its NCAA Austin Regional with a 1-2 record.
- Today's game marked the 21st time that Rice and Louisiana have met on the diamond and the second time in the NCAA Austin Regional. Rice improved to 17-4 in the all-time series
- Louisiana is making its 12th NCAA postseason appearance and its first since 2007.
- Rice is making its 16th NCAA postseason appearance, improving its streak to 16-straight appearances.
- The official attendance for the regional's second game was 6,581.
- With its win, Rice improved to 72-37 all-time in NCAA postseason action.
- The win gave Rice its 40th win of 2010 and marked the 16th-straight season the Owls have won at least 40 games.
- Righthander Mike Ojala's 9.0-inning effort marked the longest outing of his collegiate career and his first complete game. He scattered five hits, allowed one run, walked one and fanned nine in the win.
- Rightfielder Chad Mozingo's single in the third extended his current hitting streak to six games. Mozingo notched an RBI double in the fourth for his second hit of the day to record his 24th multi-hit game of the season.
- Leftfielder Michael Fuda's single in the fourth improved his hitting streak to six games. He added another hit later in the frame to record his team-best 26th multi-hit game of the season.
- Catcher Diego Seastrunk's three-run double in the fourth was the 61st of his career, moving him into fourth place on the Rice all-time doubles chart. He added a second double in the ninth to improve his career total to 62.
- Seastrunk's three-run double improved his career RBI total to 200, making him only the fifth player in Rice history with 200 or more RBI. He now ranks No. 5 on the Rice career RBI charts.
- Designated hitter Jeremy Rathjen's solo home run in the sixth was his 13th long ball of the season. His two-hits in the game marked his 22nd multi-hit game of the season.
- Third baseman Anthony Rendon's 0-for-3, two-walk performance snapped his season-best 14-game hitting streak.
- The Ragin' Cajuns loss moved Louisiana to 20-25 all-time in NCAA postseason action.
- The seven-run outburst in the fourth by Rice was just the eighth, three-plus run inning allowed by the Cajuns pitching staff since April 6. Individual Notes:
- Prior to the Owls' fourth inning, lefthander Taylor Hubbell had pitched 13.2 consecutive scoreless innings.
- Shortstop Greg Fontenot's five assists against Rice pushed his season total to 184, moving him into a tie with Kyle Bostick (2009) on the UL single-season charts.
- Fontenot's two-hit performance was his team-leading 22nd multi-hit game of the season.