June 5, 2010
2010 NCAA Baseball Championships | Austin Regional
Austin, Texas | UFCU Disch-Falk Field | Hosted by The University of Texas
Game 3 Rice 19, Rider 1
- With the win Rice advances to take on the Texas/Louisiana loser on Sunday at 1 p.m.
- Rider concludes its NCAA Austin Regional with an 0-2 record.
- Today's game marked the first time that Rice and Rider have met on the diamond.
- Rider is making its 10th NCAA postseason appearance and its first since 2008.
- Rice is making its 16th NCAA postseason appearance, improving its streak to 16-straight appearances.
- The official attendance for the regional's second game was 6,366.
- With its win, Rice improved to 71-37 all-time in NCAA postseason action.
- All nine Rice starters recorded a hit in the victory.
- Rice's 19 runs against Rider snapped a 13.0-inning scoreless streak in NCAA play that dates back to 2009. The scoring outburst marked the most runs that the Owls have scored in NCAA play since May 29, 1999 when they scored 27 runs vs. UW-Milwaukee. Individual Notes:
- Rice starter Taylor Wall was lifted in the fourth inning with a perfect game intact after firing 3.2 innings and fanning three batters.
- Third baseman Anthony Rendon's two-run home run in the fourth was the 44th of his career, moving him into sole possession of third-place in the Rice career record books. (He concluded the game with 46 career homers)
- Rendon added a three-run home run in the seventh and a two-run shot in the eighth to mark the fourth-time this season he has hit two or more longballs in the same game and the first-time he has ever had a three-homer day. He pushed his season home run total to 26 in the win, moving him into third-place in the Rice single-season record books.
- Rendon's three-homer performance set a new UFCU Disch-Falk Field single-game home run record.
- Relief pitcher Mark Haynes' 4.1-inning outing was his longest of the season and his five strikeouts set a new season high.
- Leftfielder Michael Fuda's two-run triple in the second extended his hitting streak to six games and recorded his 12th multi-RBI game of the season. Fuda totaled four hits to tally his team-best 25th multi-hit game of 2010 and his fourth four-hit game.
- Second baseman Michael Ratterree's three-hit effort marked his 16th multi-hit game of the season.
- Centerfielder Steven Sultzbaugh's two-RBI performance was his eighth multi-RBI outing of the year. He added a double in the ninth
- Catcher Diego Seastrunk's triple in the fourth was the 285th hit of his career, moving him into a tie with Lance Berkman (1995-97) for third-place all-time at Rice.
- The Broncs loss moved Rider to 5-20 all-time in NCAA postseason action.
- The 19 runs surrendered by Rider against Rice were the most allowed by the Broncs this season.
- Rider was out-scored 30-1 in its two games at the NCAA Austin Regional, plating its lone run in the bottom of the ninth against Rice.
- Rider walked the leadoff batter in Rice's three big rallies in the second, third and fourth innings. The leadoff hitter came around to score in each of the rallies.
- Second baseman A.J. Albee's single in the fourth extended his current hitting streak to six games.
- Albee added a double in the sixth to notch his team-best 27th multi-hit game of the season.
- Lefthander Tyler Smith made his 31st appearance of the season and added to his Rider single-season appearance record when he entered the game in the eighth.