| Chance Ruffin
|Height / Weight:|
6-1 / 185
2010 HIGHLIGHTS (Updated May 3, 2010)
Closed out the season opener versus New Mexico with a scoreless inning, allowing one hit and striking out one in (2/19).
Worked 1.0 shutout inning with two walks and two strikeouts against Dallas Baptist (2/24).
Earned his first save of the season by going 3.2 innings and allowing only one hit and striking out four against No. 18 Stanford (2/27).
Picked up the win in relief against No. 9 Rice, allowing one hit and striking out three over 1.1 scoreless innings (3/5).
Allowed two hits and one walk while striking out three over 1.2 shutout innings versus Missouri during the Houston College Classic (3/7).
Earned the save against Texas State after pitching 1.0 inning, allowing no hits and striking out one (3/9).
Pitched 1 inning against Texas State, allowing no hits, while striking out 1 batter (3/9)
Worked 2.0 shutout innings with 3 strike outs against Iowa (3/12).
Pitched one inning against Iowa, allowing no hits, while striking out 1 batter (3/13).
Worked 1.2 shutout innings with 2 strike outs against Nebraska (3/19).
Gave up only one hit and one walk in 3.1 innings after facing 11 batters versus Rice...also struck out 3 batters (3/23).
Earned a save with 2.1 shutout innings, scattering one hit and two walks while striking out three versus Texas Tech (3/27).
Totaled 4.1 innings of scoreless work with eight strikeouts and a save in three appearances against No. 17 Oklahoma. (4/1-3)
Combined for 4.1 innings allowing zero runs on four hits while striking out seven and earning a save in two appearances against Kansas. (4/9-10)
Allowed one hit and no runs in 1.0 against Texas State (4/13).
Pitched 2.0 solid innings in relief versus Oklahoma State (3/25), giving up zero hits and striking out three.
Allowed only one run in 1.1 innings, while striking out three against UTSA (4/27); racked up his 10th save of the season.
In the Baylor series (4/30-5/2), struck out eight and allowed only three hits in 4.2 innings; picked up fifth win of the season for the 4/30 victory.
ABCA All-Midwest Region - Second Team
All-Big 12 - First Team
Academic All-Big 12 - Second Team
Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship All-Tournament Team
Fall 2008 Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll
Collegiate Baseball/Louisville Sllugger's Preseason All-America - Third Team
Pro-Line Athletic/NCBWA Preseason All-America
Brooks Wallace Award watch list
Led the Big 12 and ranked fourth in the nation with 124.0 innings pitched.
Ranked second in the Big 12 and the nation with 18 starts.
Ranked third in the Big 12 and 17th in the nation with 115 strikeouts.
Ranked third in the Big 12 with three complete games.
Ranked fourth in the Big 12 and 22nd in the nation with 10 wins.
Ranked fourth in the Big 12 and 70th in the nation in fewest walks per nine innings (1.80).
Ranked fifth in the Big 12 in ERA with a 3.32 mark.
Ranked sixth in the Big 12 with a .230 opponents batting average.
Appeared in 25 games, including 18 starts, posting a 10-2 record with two saves, a 3.32 ERA, .230 opponents batting average, three complete games and 115 strikeouts in 124.2 innings.
Appeared in 10 Big 12 games, including nine starts, posting a 4-2 record with a 3.43 ERA, .249 opponents batting average and 57 strikeouts in 60.1 innings.
Earned a win over UIC (2/20), yielding one run on four hits and two walks while striking out three over 7.0 innings.
Yielded two runs on six hits and one walk while striking out nine in 6.0 to book win against Penn State (2/27).
Tossed a complete-game victory at Stanford (3/6), giving up two runs, one earned on four hits and three walks while striking out seven.
Tough-luck loser in 2-0 loss to Missouri (3/14), yielding two runs on five hits and one walk while striking out three over 8.1 innings.
Earned a save with one scoreless inning, striking out one against Dallas Baptist (3/24).
Allowed two runs, one earned, on six hits and two walks while striking out six over 7.1 innings at No. 17 Oklahoma State (4/3).
Fanned a season-high 10 batters in 6.1 innings in win versus No. 10 Oklahoma (4/18).
Hurled a complete game versus Kansas (5/21) at the Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship, allowing three runs on four hits and two walks over six innings.
Tossed a complete-game in NCAA Super Regional opener against No. 14 TCU allowing four runs on seven hits and one walk while striking out
Closed out Super Regional with a save against No. 14 TCU retiring both batters he faced, including one strikeout.
· Third-team All-America - Baseball America
· First-team Freshman All-America - Baseball America
· First-team Freshman All-America - NCBWA
· Freshman All-America - Louisville Slugger's/Collegiate Baseball
· Big 12 Freshman of the Year
· NCAA Houston Regional All-Tournament Team
· Second Team All-Big 12
· Spring 2008 Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll
· Led the Big 12 and ranked 11th in the nation with a 1.96 ERA.
· Led the Big 12 with a 2.06 ERA in conference games.
· Ranked 11th in the nation in fewest hits allowed per nine innings with 6.23.
· Ranked 65th in the nation with 9.46 strikeouts per nine innings.
· Appeared in 23 games, including 10 starts, posting an 8-3 record with three saves, a 1.96 ERA, .191 opponents batting average, one complete game and 82 strikeouts in 78.0 innings.
· Appeared in nine Big 12 games, including five starts, posting a 5-2 record with a 2.06 ERA, .186 opponents batting average, one complete game and 41 strikeouts in 43.2 innings.
· Earned first career save pitching 3.1 innings of hitless shutout relief with four strikeouts against VCU (2/23).
· Pitched 3.0 scoreless innings while retiring four batters in his first career start to record a win against UT Pan American (2/27).
· Tossed 1.1 innings of scoreless relief with one strikeout against Stanford (3/7) to earn second save of the season.
· Threw 1.0 hitless shutout inning of relief with one strikeout versus No. 15 Rice (3/11).
· Pitched three innings of hitless, shutout relief with four strikeouts against Kansas (3/15) to earn his second win of the season.
· Struck out six batters in 4.0 innings of relief while allowing only two runs, one earned, on two hits against Rice (4/1).
· Worked 3.0 strong innings of shutout relief against Oklahoma (4/5) logging four strikeouts and yielding just one hit.
· Logged 3.0 innings of hitless shutout relief against Texas State (4/8) en route to picking up his third win of the year.
· Earned his fourth victory of the season, allowing two runs on four hits with four strikeouts over 5.1 innings against Missouri (4/13).
· Yielded just one run on six hits while striking out seven in 10-inning no decision against Oklahoma State (4/18).
· Picked up his fifth win of the year, throwing 6.1 innings against Kansas State (4/25), giving up three runs on three hits while striking out six Wildcats.
· Tossed his first career complete game, scattering seven hits and allowing only one run while striking out a career-high 11 batters against Baylor (5/2).
· Earned a series-opening win over Texas A&M (5/16), allowing one run on six hits and two walks while striking out five over 7.0 innings.
· Pitched 6.0 innings in start against Missouri (5/21) during Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship, allowing only two runs on three hits while striking out four.
· Allowed one run on seven hits and struck out 10 in win over Sam Houston State (5/31) at the NCAA Houston Regional.
· Faced two batters and induced a game-ending groundout to earn a save against St. John's (6/1) at the NCAA Houston Regional.
· Earned NCAA Houston Regional All-Tournament honors, logging a 1-0 record with one save and 10 strikeouts over 7.1 innings during the tournament.
· Appeared in three games during a tryout with the U.S. National Team over the summer, posting a 1-0 mark with a 1.80 ERA. He allowed one run on four hits and two walks while striking out 11 in 5.0 innings of work.
· Three-year letterwinner for Coach Roy Kinnan's Lake Travis High School baseball squad in Austin, Texas.
· Served as team captain as a junior and senior.
· Earned Lake Travis' Big Play Award as a junior and a senior.
· Posted an 11-2 record with a 1.17 ERA and 132 strikeouts on the mound and hit .370 at the plate to earn team MVP, All-District 27-4A and All-CenTex honors as a senior.
· Logged a 10-4 record with a 1.26 ERA and 121 strikeouts to earn second-team All-District 27-4A as a junior.
· Earned All-District 27-4A honorable mention as a sophomore.
· Helped his summer baseball club, the Austin Wings coached by James Ellison, capture the Premier Baseball National Championship in 2006.
Born Chance Kraig Ruffin on Sept. 8, 1988 in Philadelphia, Pa. ... parents are Bruce and Melissa Ruffin ... has two younger siblings, Hunter and Madison ... father, Bruce, lettered for Texas from 1982-1985 and played on the 1983 National Championship team ... Bruce also pitched for 12 years in the major leagues with the Philadelphia Phillies, Milwaukee Brewers and Colorado Rockies, posting a 60-82 record with 63 saves ...majoring in education.