Athletics Risk Management and Compliance Services: Current Longhorns -- Student-Athlete Appearance Requests for Public Relations, Community Service, Non-Profit or Charitable Activities
UT Athletics encourages men and women student-athletes to support community activities and recognize the impact they have as role models for young people. Activities in which student-athletes participate must be appropriate and permissible under NCAA, Big 12 and UT rules. There are two unit areas which consider student-athlete appearance requests: Student Services and Compliance Services. The appearance of a student-athlete or the use of a student-athlete's name or image in conjunction with an appearance MUST be initially requested and subsequently approved by UT Athletics. This must be done, at a minimum, several weeks prior to the event or activity date. Requesting agencies must complete and submit the Student-Athlete Appearance Form located below. Questions regarding student-athlete appearances may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org (512-471-8278) in Student Services.
Note the bullet points below for further information:
- A student-athlete may not attend functions which cause them to miss practices, competitions, classes, study sessions, summer school, medical appointments or other institutional obligations. It is extremely difficult for student-athletes to fulfill requests during their official playing season.
- Requests to utilize a student-athlete's name or image to promote the commercial sponsors or supporters of a charitable, educational or nonprofit agency WILL NOT be approved. UT Athletics Compliance Services (email@example.com) can provide more detail regarding these restrictions upon request.
- Student-athletes may neither endorse nor promote commercial products or retail businesses.
- Non-athletics University groups, non-profit agencies and charitable agencies MAY NOT use UT trademark logos, including the Longhorn silhouette logo, for promotion of their activity even if a student-athlete is participating in the function.
- Fund-raising activities associated with student-athlete appearances must directly benefit the University, a University group, or the charitable, educational or non-profit agency.
- With any appearance or activity, student-athletes may not accept benefits in excess of actual and necessary expenses to attend the function.
- Sales of items that utilize a student-athlete's name, picture or likeness are strictly prohibited.
- All uses of student-athlete images on web sites, collateral material, publications, invitations, programs and other items must be sent to UT Athletics Compliance Services (firstname.lastname@example.org) for proofing and approval. No exceptions.
Links and Resources