Athletics Risk Management and Compliance Services: Current Longhorns — Financial Aid
An athletics scholarship may cover up to the cost of tuition, fees, room, board, and books for a single year. Scholarships are renewable on an annual basis, and notifications of renewal, reduction or nonrenewal are postmarked no later than July 1. If you have a question about the terms of your financial aid agreement, see your head coach, the compliance office, or the Athletics Director.
Athletically-related financial aid policies:
1. Under normal circumstances, an athletics scholarship for subsequent years is generally renewed, but NCAA rules forbid a commitment or guarantee beyond one year.
2. You may receive an athletics scholarship for no more than five years within a six-year period from initial collegiate enrollment.
3. Your scholarship may be reduced or cancelled for any reason on an annual basis. The most common reasons are:
- Inability to reach reasonable athletic performance goals;
- Motivational problems;
- Incompatibility with the coaching staff.
4. You will receive a letter from the Office of Student Financial Services postmarked by July 1 if your scholarship is reduced or cancelled.
5. If you disagree with the decision to reduce or cancel your scholarship you may file a request for an appeals board hearing. The request must be made within 14 days of the reduction or non-renewal.
Athletics Scholarship for Summer School
Summer school aid is available based on available funds, academic services recommendations, and NCAA guidelines. Your summer scholarship is proportional to the amount of aid you received during the previous academic year. The following priority list is used to determine who receives aid:
1. Student-athletes who must attend summer school to become eligible in the following year.
2. Student-athletes who will graduate that summer.
3. Student-athletes who have required courses which during the regular school year are only offered during practice time.
4. Student-athletes who can graduate early by attending a summer session.
Additional information regarding Financial Aid can be found in the Student-Athlete Manual [PDF]. Student-athletes with questions regarding their financial aid should contact their head coach, the Compliance office, or Karen Jenke in Student Financial Services.