Athletics Risk Management and Compliance Services: Current Longhorns — Employment
- Student-athletes must have prior approval from the Compliance office before he or she begins any job, regardless of the type of employment! (See approval forms below.)
- Student-athletes should go through the same hiring process as all other employees.
- Student-athletes should be paid (1) only for work actually performed, and (2) at a rate commensurate with the going rate in that locality for similar services.
- Student-athletes should be provided only those benefits, like free uniforms or meals during work hours, that are provided to all employees.
- Student-athletes should be treated as the employer would any employee doing similar work when it comes to things like, time off, breaks, scheduling, etc.
- Student-athletes should not be paid based on the value he or she may have for their employer's business due to their athletics reputation or ability.
- Student-athletes' names or images may not be used to promote their employer's business or any commercial product or service.
- Student-athletes may not be paid for endorsing a commercial product or service or using that product or service.
- Student-athletes may not receive transportation from their employers (for work or otherwise) unless the employer provides it for all of their employees.
Links and Resources